Natural gas is used as a fuel for many things in our homes, like cooking, heating and drying clothes.
While rare, a natural gas line leak is extremely dangerous due to the potential of an explosion.
Natural gas has no scent of its own, so for safety reasons, an odorant similar to rotten eggs is added. The rotten egg scent helps you detect even the tiniest gas leak.
IF YOU THINK YOU SMELL GAS OR SUSPECT A GAS LEAK
- Open doors and windows to let in fresh air.
- Do not turn on or off any electrical appliances or light switches.
- Do not attempt to locate the leak.
- Do not use the house-phone or a cell-phone within the house.
- Do not smoke or light matches or lighters.
- Leave the house and from a safe distance call 911.
Never hesitate to CALL 911 is you smell gas!
Possible sources of natural gas leaks in the home are the pilot lights of gas-fired stoves, furnaces and hot water heaters.